Thursday, October 9, 2008

Yep, She Has It

How could someone this cute 


have something this yucky?  But she does! After collecting 7 stool samples over the course of three days (yep that's right 7 and let me tell you my gag reflexes were working just fine during that little project!) as part of Tessa's welcome home medical workup at our pediatricians I got the call this morning and the beautiful Ms. Tessa has Giardia.  For those of you unfamiliar with this little lovely it's an infection of the small intestines caused by a parasite - the protozoan Giardia lamblia to be specific.  If you're really interested you can click here for more info.  
Tessa hasn't been having any of the diarrhea usually associated with Giardia so I was kind of shocked this morning but if I had known any of Giardia's other symptoms I wouldn't have been. In children they can include failure to thrive or gain weight. Tessa not only hasn't gained any weight in the last 3 weeks she's lost some despite a really good appetite and countless bottles. Looking back over my Gladney updates this afternoon I can see she really hasn't been gaining any weight for the last 3 - 4 months. So something was up.  Another symptom is foul smelling stools, and well, quite frankly, the girl's poops S.T.I.N.K!  I kid you not, I've literally been holding my breath during diaper changes and running those little bomb to the outside trash as fast as possible thinking it's been the change in diet and please God let the stench end soon. 
So there you have it.  Tessa starts her meds tomorrow and in three days she should be free and clear of Mr. Giardia lamblia. Then we get to start our stool sampling fest all over again! Good times. Meanwhile I'm just keeping my fingers crossed none of the rest of us is infected but so far so good - no symptoms in anyone else!  

1 comment:

coffeemom said...

OH, ugh. But, at least now you know and can get the meds going and then she will feel better and then so will you!!!! This is a tough one to catch, good job mom!
m